Water and air are two of the most important elements necessary for survival. 70% of the human body is made of water, and we must consume a certain amount of water daily to ensure the proper functioning of the body. However, the quality of water that we consume should be very high so as to benefit from its nutritional properties to the maximum. Conversely, if the water is not of good quality, it can actually be damaging for the body.
In this article, we will discuss some of the elements which can make drinking water unsafe to be used. We will also discuss ways in which water can be filtered and purified so it can be of the highest quality and provide health benefits for us.
What Makes Water Unsafe or Impure?
Water is a universal solvent which makes it highly probable for different kinds of particles and substances to get dissolved in water. This can cause water to absorb many different minerals, elements, and other compounds from a lot of substances that it comes into contact with. Some of these elements and minerals are quite beneficial for the human body, and their presence in water makes them highly safe and good to be consumed.
One such example is that of naturally alkaline water from certain springs. The high solvency property of water causes it to absorb beneficial minerals such as calcium, potassium, magnesium, silica, selenium, zinc, and iron from the rocks as it passes over them. The resultant water has increased alkalinity (PH value between 8 and 9.5) and is considered quite safe and healthy for human consumption.
On the other hand, the same water can absorb different types of impurities, chemicals, and toxic elements from various sources. These sources can be the chemicals used for cleaning sewage systems, fertilizers, home plumbing, and road salts. All these can increase the toxicity of the water, making it unsafe or impure to be consumed by humans.
Two of the most important markers which can be used to determine the safety or toxicity of water are total dissolved solids/salts and fluoride. Depending on their level in the water, we can deduce whether the water is safe for drinking or not.
Both of these are further discussed below.
Total Dissolved Solids/ Total Dissolved Salts (TDS)
TDS or total dissolved solids/salts are the amounts of some particles or substances in some volume of water. These particles can include different elements or compounds that can be harmful or beneficial for your body. TDS is usually measured in water by using a TDS meter that measures the total amount of dissolved solids or salts in the water.
The best type of natural alkaline water is from the mountains where it contains beneficial alkaline minerals with a TDS value between 30ppm to 90ppm. Some studies also show that prolonged exposure to TDS above 100ppm can be stressful to certain age groups.
Coral Pure Premium Alkaline Hydrogen Mineral water has TDS value between 45 to 80ppm.
Fluoride is another type of element whose amount can be tested to see if its value is in excess or just the right amount in drinking water. Fluoride is a natural element that exists in water and some foods. Fluoride is essential for good teeth health and to prevent decay. However, its excessive consumption has been associated with certain health hazards, the details of which are discussed in the following sections.
Harmful Effects of TDS In Water
Some of the harmful effects of TDS caused by toxic elements and harmful microorganisms are discussed below:
● Some TDS are in the form of bacteria and viruses which can become the cause of various diseases. Some diseases such as hepatitis, typhoid, and other illnesses may be caused by these bacteria and viruses.
● Certain toxic elements, such as uranium, chloroform, lead, arsenic, and mercury, are highly hazardous and can cause irreversible health conditions in healthy individuals.
● Chlorine and chloride are also a type of TDS that can be hazardous to health.
Harmful Effects of Fluoride In Water
Singapore is one of the few countries in the world that are still using water fluoridation as part of water treatment. However, when the fluoride amount exceeds the safe level for consumption in drinking water, it can cause various harmful effects on the human body, some of which are discussed below:
According to past reports released by PUB, Singapore’s local tap water contain fluoride levels between the range from 0.38mg/L to 0.59 mg /L. The concentration of Fluoride can be doubled when tap water is being boiled up. If a person drink more than 2.5L of boiled water, there could be excessive of Fluoride which can cause various harmful effects. WHO guideline is not exceeding 1.5mg / Litres
● Excessive exposure to fluoride has been associated with brain damage, especially in newborns and small children. Studies have shown that children who were exposed to high levels of fluoride in water showed impaired brain development and consequently, a lower than normal IQ for their corresponding ages.
● Excessive fluoride consumption has also been associated with an increased risk of cardiovascular diseases such as increased blood pressure, arterial calcification, arteriosclerosis, and myocardial damage.
● People who had excessive exposure to fluoride in drinking water were studied, and it was shown that there was an increased risk for getting diabetes which manifested in the form of increased blood sugar levels and impaired glucose tolerance.
● More seriously, fluoride consumption through water is associated with an increased risk of getting bone, bladder, or lung cancer.
● Excessive fluoride consumption is also associated with an increased risk of arthritis and weak bones that are more susceptible to fractures.
● Excess fluoride also disrupts the endocrine functions and can become the cause of thyroid diseases which, in turn, can give rise to many other health issues.
● Fluoride excess can cause various unpleasant and sometimes serious gastrointestinal effects.
● Toxic levels of fluoride in drinking water can cause fluoride poisoning that can be a life-threatening situation.
How To Filter And Purify Water?
All the negative effects of TDS and fluoride in water make it a necessity to remove them from drinking water so as to have safe and clean drinking water for everyone. They can be eliminated by using a high-quality water filtration and purification system such as Coral Pure Natural.
Since fluoride is even more harmful than TDS, its elimination from water should be the highest priority.
However, most of the water filtration systems available in the market are only able to remove 10% - 20% of fluoride from drinking water. On the contrary, Coral Pure Natural can remove up to 95% of fluoride from water by using its 0.0001-micron filtration technology, certified by USA NSF ANSI 58
Through the process of reverse osmosis, harmful TDS are removed from water while preserving healthy and beneficial minerals such as calcium and magnesium from the last 4 remineralization filters During the filtration process, the alkalinity of water is also increased so that the PH level comes around 9.5 to 10.5.
This makes the water highly safe for human use and can provide many benefits such as better bone health, slow ageing, and lesser risk of getting chronic diseases. It also increases one’s energy levels, detoxifies the body, aids in weight loss, and improves one’s immunity. A better immune system ensures better protection against different kinds of diseases and health issues. All these health improvements supported by our numerous users’ testimonials.